Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Mildly Freaking Out...(Part One)

My baby will be 4 in two weeks. MY BABY WILL BE 4 IN TWO WEEKS. OMGMYBABYWILLBE4INTWOWEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Trying to subdue my intense feelings of despondancy over my "not a baby" anymore, I have taken on the following tasks, all of which I aim to execute with a Martha Stewart meets Geneiveve Gorder type precision.

1) I am repainting Brynn's room. I painted it a lovely shade of lavender when we moved in last year, and I have a very long list of justifications as to why this lavender no longer suits, but my most important reason is that my "not a baby anymore" would like it pink. So... not just plain pink paint will do for her... I have decided to paint pink stripes, get new bedding, new curtains, etc. My further justification for this is that I will not re-paint it until she's at least 12... 0r 9 ... or until I go through another parenting crisis. (and she would be just fine with plain pink paint.... but I self-imposedly have decided to up the ante.)

2) I am planning a birthday party for her in our backyard, with all of her friends. I am greatly concerned that nobody will show up, and she'll be the only kid at her party. OMG. I am also concerned about the length of the party and what to serve, and keeping the kids entertained with games for the whole time period. We are having strawberry cupcakes, but what else do I give the kiddies?? The party is from 2-4 on Saturday June 5. I am thinking fruit kabobs and hye-rollers (tortillas with meat and cheese all rolled up swirly burrito-style). Too much? Too little? Not appropriate??

3) I am also planning a family birthday party for her, on her actual birthday (June 9). This will be for approximately 10 adults (OMG). Since this is during the week, I will not have all day to plan and execute another brisket-level catastrophe. I am currently planning on making lasagna-shells with garlic bread and salad, as I could make that up ahead of time and just pop it into the oven when I get home from work. My dilemma is this : who wants to eat heavy pasta in the summer?? It's not really seasonally appropriate.... but alas... we don't have a grill because Husband decided a 1000" tv was more critical.

Part Two will follow after I've calmed down from writing Part One.

1 comment:

  1. Lasagna shells sound REALLY yummy and I would be happy eating that, regardless of season. But if you're really opposed to it, you could try a pasta salad. I have a delicious, easy recipe that can be made the night before. It's BETTER if it's made the night before. It's usually more of a side dish, but you can throw in pepperoni or a chopped up rotisserie chicken for the carnivores. Serve with chips and fruit and you're set. Let me know if you want the recipe! Ooooh, or what about tacos? Get the meat ready the night before, then before the party heat it up, put a bunch of toppings in bowls, and let people make their own. Call it a taco bar and people will be very impressed.

    PS - I really want to know about your friend who was at 39 weeks 4 weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete