Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Professionalism

So, I’ve had a bad day.

I got a lecture from my supervisor (whom I think very little of) about my unprofessional posture at an internal team meeting. Dear Blogreaders, it is true. When I was in a closed meeting room, with 2 coworkers and my supervisor, and as the meeting rounded into its second hour, I did indeed slouch in my chair for a period of approximately 2 minutes as my back was cramping up.

I sincerely apologize for how deeply this must have offended you. This was indeed quite unprofessional of me. I should know better.

This is what I wanted to say: “Oh, thanks for bringing up the topic of professionalism. There are a couple things that I wanted to mention to you as well. Here, let me outline them so your feeble mind can follow along:

1) When I have to wake you up at home to remind you that you are already late for meetings, that is generally frowned upon.

2) Spending the morning harvesting your crops on FarmVille, I fear, is typically a ‘no-no’ as well.

3) Showing up late to every single meeting because you are outside smoking, and then reeking of stale smoke, could also be considered unprofessional in some people’s eyes.

4) Having to fudge purchase order numbers so as to not alert your supervisor of your excessive company spending, can reflect poorly on your organizational and fiscal skills.

I hope that this brief outline will also help you to learn what is and isn’t professional when determining what choices to make while you are at work as well.”

1 comment: