Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mashed Potato Fun

I really don't remember how it all started, or why I originally thought that this would be fun -- but several years ago, my mother, sister-in-law, and I started going to Potato Days in Barnesville, MN. (mmmm...potatoes )We've become obsessed with it... or maybe it's just me.  Last year was bittersweet, however, as I felt the maternal pull to stay home with my 7 day old baby rather than feast on rommegrot and lefse.  (No worries though,  because my mother and sister-in-law still went and brought me back a buffet of food.)

This year, I was bound and determined for the entire family to go. I told Brynn that there was going to be "mashed potato wrestling" and explained the concept to her.  Once we arrived and saw the wrestling underway, my prissy princess suddenly transformed into a testosterone-filled adventurer and immediately declared that she wanted to do this also. Um.. what?  I didn't want to be a kill-joy, but I didn't think that wet-wipes would clean up vats of mashed potatoes on her dress, face, and hair.  I told her that she would be allowed to STAND in it...and I held her hand to avoid slippery footings.



Stepping in to the mashed potatoes...


Squishy on the toes



Having a Spud-Tastic Time



After the wrestling concluded, it was time to go and EAT!! Brynn and Brandon had mashed potatoes with gravy and meatballs. Jeremy had potato sausage and lefse. I had rommegrot (MMM), pierogies and gravy, and a dumpling. (I did share some of the pierogies).  Brandon was not loving the potato party.  Here's a picture of my bubby:


"Potatoes are NOT for babies!! I want to go home!!"

I was glad that the family went, and was only slightly sad that we didn't have the patience to stand in line to get our free french fries -- but we shall try again next year!!! Or maybe not -- here's a transcript of the conversation had on the way home:

Jeremy: Kim, I think you need to take me to the hospital.
Kim: Um... why?
Jeremy: I need to have surgery, I think.
Kim: Um... why?
Jeremy: I can't handle any more kids. I'm ready to volunteer for the optional surgery.
Kim: Um... as long as it's not done over PotatoDays next year...

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! Potato Days looks WAY fun! I've wanted to go, but can't convince Jordan to go with me, he hates taters. Asha was telling me about Brynn "dancing in mashed be-tatoes" and I wondered what the hell she was talking about... now I know. And I can't believe you like rommegrot! Yack. Lefse, now that's a flat tater I can get on board with, but rommegrot, nope (I am also confused as to what it has to do with potatoes? Enlighten me?). Looks like you all had a blast, except maybe Jeremy, it must have been pretty traumatic to want to undergo, uh, "that type" of surgical procedure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna, I cannot believe you would not be a fan of something that has an ingredient list like this:
    1 qt. milk
    1 c. half & half
    1 c. butter
    3/4 c. flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/4 c. butter
    Sugar & cinnamon

    MMMM, goodness. And, it even lists butter and sugar TWICE!! No potatoes, but I think it's able to sneak in under the "Scandinavian-ness" factor. I've yet to come up with an explanation for the presence of "taco in a bag" or "pulled pork sandwiches" at Potato Days, but, eh -- food is food.

    Brandon is in the "I shall put everything in my mouth" stage, coupled with "Utensils are not for 1 year-olds, fingers can do just fine" stage -- so he was a beast. A cute beast, but....

    Next year, Brynn is going to bring her swimming suit and go back into the "be-tatoes" -- (there's a "creek" and firehoses to clean up with). I heart Potato Days. I've even thought of forging my address so that brynn can participate in the Miss Tator Tot pageant. haha.

    ReplyDelete